Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Judge temporarily halts removal of Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Judge temporarily halts removal of Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 08:05:46
A federal judge temporarily halted the removal of the Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery on Will Sage AstorMonday.
U.S. District Judge Rossie Alston Jr. issued the order on Monday after workers had begun working on the removal that was slated to be completed by the end of the week.
On Sunday, the group Defend Arlington, an affiliate of Save Southern Heritage Florida, filed the emergency motion asking for the pause arguing that the removal of the monument would disturb gravesites.
“Plaintiffs have made the necessary showing that they are entitled to a temporary restraining order pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 65(b) to preserve the status quo pending a decision by the Court on the merits of this action,” Alston’s order reads.
The order temporarily bars the Department of Defense from “taking any acts to deconstruct, tear down, remove, or alter the object of this case." A hearing on the case is scheduled for Wednesday.
'100 years of difficult work':Richmond removes final public Confederate monument
Confederate memorial removal
On Saturday, Arlington National Cemetery announced that safety fencing had been installed around the memorial and officials expected it to be completely removed by Friday. According to a news release, the landscape, graves and headstones surrounding the memorial will be protected while the monument is taken down.
"During the deconstruction, the area around the Memorial will be protected to ensure no impact to the surrounding landscape and grave markers and to ensure the safety of visitors in and around the vicinity of the deconstruction," the cemetery news release said.
The removal part of a national effort to get rid of confederate symbols from military-related spaces was slated to go ahead despite pushback from some Republican lawmakers.
Last week, 44 lawmakers, led by Georgia Republican Rep. Andrew Clyde wrote a letter to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin demanding the Reconciliation Monument be kept, Fox News reported.
Clyde said the monument, “does not honor nor commemorate the Confederacy; the memorial commemorates reconciliation and national unity.”
In a September 2022 report to Congress, an independent commission recommended the removal of the monument, which was unveiled in 1914 and designed by a Confederate veteran. The memorial "offers a nostalgic, mythologized vision of the Confederacy, including highly sanitized depictions of slavery," according to Arlington National Cemetery.
veryGood! (51)
Related
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- A record on the high seas: Cole Brauer to be first US woman to sail solo around the world
- Chick-fil-A tells customers to throw out a popular dipping sauce
- Being a female runner shouldn't be dangerous. Laken Riley's death reminds us it is.
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Jamie Foxx promises to 'tell you what happened' during his mysterious 2023 health scare
- Arkansas voters could make history with 2 Supreme Court races, including crowded chief justice race
- On front lines of the opioid epidemic, these Narcan street warriors prevent overdose deaths
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Of the Subway bread choices, which is the healthiest? Ranking the different types
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Russian drone attack kills 7 in Odesa, Ukraine says
- A list of mass killings in the United States this year
- California votes in its Senate primary race today. Meet the candidates vying for Dianne Feinstein's seat.
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Regulatory costs account for half of the price of new condos in Hawaii, university report finds
- Denver Broncos to cut QB Russell Wilson, incurring record cap hit after two tumultuous seasons
- Teen Mom's Jenelle Evans and Husband David Eason Break Up After 6 Years of Marriage
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
SpaceX launches 76 satellites in back-to-back launches from both coasts
Thousands watch as bald eagle parents squabble over whose turn it is to keep eggs warm
Spanish tourist camping with her husband is gang raped in India; 3 arrested as police search for more suspects
'Most Whopper
Can you register to vote at the polls today? Super Tuesday states with same-day voter registration for the 2024 primaries
Tesla evacuates its Germany plant. Musk blames 'eco-terrorists' for suspected arson
Bitcoin bounces to an all-time high less than two years after FTX scandal clobbered crypto